Climbing Mount Fuji by H.Ozawa
This site contains many pictures of the actual route up Mount Fuji. If you are planning to come to Japan and climb the tallest mountain here but uncertain which route to take or want to know how the routes are, please view the pictures.
The pictures are provided to just show how the actual routes are. On an actual climb, please do not forget to bring a map - the pictures alone will be insufficient especially when walking on a less well taken pathes such as Suyama route.
Live Camera sites
There are 4 popular routes and 2 less used routes from the foot of the mountain, 3 not to oftenly used old routes, and 1 route replaced by a road.
Popular routes (New fifth station)
Less used routes from the foot of the mountain
- Kawaguchiko route
- Fujimiya route
- Subashiri route
- Gotemba route
Not oftenly used old routes
- Fujiyoshida route
- Shojinko route
Route replaced by a paved road
- Suyama route
- Murayama route
The popular routes are all located at the new fifth station and there are buses during the summer season from July to August. To unexperienced climbers, these routes are the best because they are short and there are opened huts along the way to buy food and drinks (even though they are very expensive!).
- Funatsu route (Currently Subaru Line)
To the experience climber, popular route is too short and not much of a fun. Fujiyoshida route starts from Fujiyoshida station station at the foot of Mount Fuji and Shojinko route starts from Shojinko lake. There isn't too many buses to Shoujinko but there are direct buses from Shinjuku in central Tokyo.
Old routes such as Suyama route and Murayama route offers a taste of what climbing Mount Fuji was like in earlier days. There were the two oldest climbing routes that were forgotten for decades but has been re-opened recently. There is a local bus to Suyama route but the bus to Murayama route has stopped running now.
What You'll Need
Following items are a must:
You should bring the following items if you don't want to spend tons of money buying them at Mount Fuji:
- Money - Climbing Mount Fuji can be very expensive
- Flash light - Just in case you're not able to get down before it gets dark.
- Map - If you're just going up from the fifth station, you might not need it but I've seen so many people without a map taking the wrong route down. You don't want to climb up after descending half way because you've found that you've taken the wrong route down.
- Rain gear - rain suit if possible. Just an umbrella is inadequate.
What you should bring if you're planning of seeing the sunrise:
- Water - at least 2 liter from the new fifth station. 4 to 5 liters when climbing from the foot of the mountain
- Food and snack
- Warm clothes - it's freezing up at the summit just before the sunrise. If you're just going up and down during the day time, shorts are OK but it gets very cold when the sun sets. Bring caps, mittens, and warm woolen sox.
- Sleeping bag - if you're not going to stay in a hut, bring a sleeping bag.
My Mount Fuji Climbing Log
- Fujiyoshida Station -> Gotemba Seinen House (Aug.10,2007 to Aug,11) Fujiyoshida Station 11:10pm -> Summit 9:00 am -> Gotemba exit 10:20 -> Hoeizan -> Gotemba New Fifth Station 11:55 -> Seinen House 2:20 pm.
- Subashiri route New 5th Station -> Gotemba New 5th Station (Aug. 05,2007) New 5th station (8:15) -> summit (11:25) -> Gotemba entrance (12:20) => Gotemba New 5th Station (1:55pm)
- Subashiri route New 5th Station -> Suyama (July 29,2007) New 5th station (8:05) -> summit (11:45) -> Gotemba entrance (12:20) => Suyama (5:15pm)
- Subashiri route New 5th Station (July 16,2007) New 5th station (8:00) -> summit (11:35) -> New 5th station (1:10pm)
- Gotemba station -> Gotemba station (Sept.16, 2006)
- Fujiyoshida station -> Fujiyoshida station (Sept.9-10,2006)
- Fujiyoshida (Sept.2-3, 2006) 11:00 Fujiyoshida station -> Summit 20:15 Gotemba descending entrance 7:30 -> Futagoyama -> Ryugahara bus stop 2:30pm
- Fujiyoshida route (Aug.30-31, 2006) 23:00 Fujiyoshida station -> Summit 7:55 Gotemba descending entrance 8:30 -> Suyama Sengenjinja 3:15pm
- Suyama route (Aug.19-20,2006) 8:33 Suyama Sengenjinja -> Summit 18:15 Summit 6:00 -> Suyama Sengenjinja -> 11:23
- Suyama route (Aug.12, 2006)
- Fujiyoshida route (Aug. 5, 2006)
- Gotemba New 5th Station (July 29, 2006)
- Subashiri route New 5th Station (July 22, 2006)